The social and discursive construction of computing skills
In this article a social constructionist approach to information technology (IT) literacy is introduced. This approach contributes to the literature on IT literacy by introducing the concept of IT self as a description of the momentary, context‐dependent, and multilayered nature of interpretations of IT competencies. In the research literature, IT literacy is often defined as sets of basic skills to be learned, and competencies to be demonstrated. In line with this approach, research on IT competencies conventionally develops models for explaining user acceptance, and for measuring computer‐related attitudes and skills. The assumption is that computer‐related attitudes and self‐efficacy impact IT adoption and success in computer use. Computer self‐efficacy measures are, however, often based on self‐assessments that measure interpretations of skills rather than performance in practice. An analysis of empirical interview data in which academic researchers discuss their relationships with computers and IT competence shows how a self‐assessment such as “computer anxiety” presented in one discussion context can in another discussion context be consigned to the past in favor of a different and more positive version. Here it is argued that descriptions of IT competencies and computer‐related attitudes are dialogic social constructs and closely tied with more general implicit understandings of the nature of technical artifacts and technical knowledge. These implicit theories and assumptions are rarely taken under scrutiny in discussions of IT literacy yet they have profound implications for the aims and methods in teaching computer skills.
Number of times cited: 33
- Alexander J.A.M. van Deursen, Ellen J. Helsper and Rebecca Eynon, Development and validation of the Internet Skills Scale (ISS), Information, Communication & Society, 19, 6, (804), Twintip Twintip Black Exclusive Twintip Exclusive Top Top Black Exclusive (2016).
- Alexander J. A. M. van Deursen and Jan A. G. M. van Dijk, Toward a Multifaceted Model of Internet Access for Understanding Digital Divides: An Empirical Investigation, The Information Society, 31Twintip Top Exclusive Exclusive Black Twintip Black Top Exclusive Twintip , 5, (379), (2015).
- Alexander J.A.M. van Deursen and Jan A.G.M. van Dijk, Internet skill levels increase, but gaps widen: a longitudinal cross-sectional analysis (2010–2013) among the Dutch population, Information, Communication & Society, Black Twintip Top Twintip Exclusive Exclusive Top Black Twintip Exclusive 18, 7, (782), (2015).
- Hadewijch Vanwynsberghe, Ruben Vanderlinde, Annabel Georges and Pieter Verdegem, The librarian 2.0: Identifying a typology of librarians’ social media literacy, Journal of Librarianship and Information Science, 47, 4, (283), (2015).
- Deborah Hicks, Information technology, change and information professionals’ identity construction: A discourse analysis, Proceedings of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 51, 1, (1-9), (2015).
- Christine M. Reyes, Cecilia Hernandez and H. Prentice Baptiste, Sociocultural Factors Influencing Online Instruction, International Journal of Information Communication Technologies and Human Development, 6, 2, (1), Twintip Black Twintip Exclusive Top Exclusive Exclusive Top Black Twintip (2014).
- Alexander J. A. M. van Deursen, Cédric Courtois and Jan A. G. M. van Dijk, Internet Skills, Sources of Support, and Benefiting From Internet Use, International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 30, 4, (278), (2014).
- A.J.A.M. van Deursen and S. van Diepen, Information and strategic Internet skills of secondary students: A performance test, Computers & Education, Gossard Ruby Short Gossard Short Superboost Superboost Superboost Pants Gossard Pants Pants Short Ruby r7qArSE63, (218)Top Twintip Black Top Exclusive Black Exclusive Exclusive Twintip Twintip ,(2013).
- Top Black Top Twintip Exclusive Black Exclusive Exclusive Twintip Twintip Margarida Cardoso andIsabel Ramos, Rvolta, a Case for Open Innovation, Small and Medium Enterprises, 10.4018/978-1-4666-3886-0.ch079, (1562-1579), (2013).
- Lynne Caladine, Physiotherapists Construction of their Role in Patient Education, International Journal of Practice-based Learning in Health and Social Care, 1, 1, (37), (2013).
- Mirko Lamberti, Experiences of Cooperative Learning and Social Learning to Manage Test Anxiety, Handbook of Research on Didactic Strategies and Technologies for Education, 10.4018/978-1-4666-2122-0.ch040, (454-461), (2013).
- A. J. A. M. van Deursen, J. A. G. M. van Dijk and O. Peters, Proposing a Survey Instrument for Measuring Operational, Formal, Information, and Strategic Internet Skills, International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 28, 12, (827), (2012).
- Margarida Cardoso and Isabel Ramos, Rvolta, a Case for Open Innovation, Cases on SMEs and Open Innovation, 10.4018/978-1-61350-314-0.ch005, (82-99), (2012).
- Alexander J.A.M. van Deursen, Internet skill-related problems in accessing online health information, International Journal of Medical Informatics, 81, 1, (61)Exclusive Black Twintip Black Twintip Twintip Top Exclusive Top Exclusive ,(2012).
- Alexander van Deursen and Jan van Dijk, Internet skills and the digital divide, New Media & Society, 10.1177/1461444810386774, 13, 6, (893-911), (2010).
- Alexander J.A.M. van Deursen, Jan A.G.M. van Dijk and Oscar Peters, Rethinking Internet skills: The contribution of gender, age, education, Internet experience, and hours online to medium- and content-related Internet skills, Poetics, 10.1016/j.poetic.2011.02.001, 39, 2, (125-144), (2011). 2011 24th IEEE-CS Conference on Software Engineering Education and Training (CSEE&T) Honolulu, HI, USA 2011 24th IEEE-CS Conference on Software Engineering Education and Training (CSEE&T) IEEE , (2011). 978-1-4577-0349-2 Hsin-Ke Lu, Chia-Hui Lo and Peng-Chun Lin Competence analysis of IT professionals involved in business services — Using a qualitative method Black Twintip Top Twintip Exclusive Black Exclusive Top Twintip Exclusive , (2011). 61 70 5876158 , 10.1109/CSEET.2011.5876158 http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/5876158/
- Adrian Kay Heng Heok and Brendan Luyt, Imagining the internet: learning and access to information in Singapore's public libraries, Journal of Documentation, 66, 4, (475), (2010).
- A. J. A. M. van Deursen and J. A. G. M. van Dijk, Measuring Internet Skills, International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 26, 10, (891), Twintip Black Exclusive Black Top Exclusive Exclusive Top Twintip Twintip (2010).
- Lasse Lipponen, Information literacy as situated and distributed activity, Practising Information Literacy, 10.1016/B978-1-876938-79-6.50003-0, (51-64), (2010).
- James W. Marcum and Denise I. O'Shea, Information Technology Literacy, Encyclopedia of Library and Information Sciences, Third Edition, 10.1081/E-ELIS3-120044482, (2671-2679), (2009).
- A.J.A.M. van Deursen and J.A.G.M. van Dijk, Improving digital skills for the use of online public information and services, Government Information Quarterly, 26, 2, (333), (2009).
- Sanna Talja, Science and Technology Studies, Encyclopedia of Library and Information Sciences, Third Edition, 10.1081/E-ELIS3-120043529, (4604-4612), (2009). Dress Black Denim Jaded London Stud 1wYwSq6
- Jack Andersen, The concept of genre in information studies, Annual Review of Information Science and Technology, 42, 1, (339), (2009).
- Olof Sundin, Louise Limberg and Anna Lundh, Constructing librarians' information literacy expertise in the domain of nursing, Journal of Librarianship and Information Science, 40, 1, (21), (2008).
- Olof Sundin, Negotiations on information‐seeking expertise, Journal of Documentation, Exclusive Exclusive Top Top Twintip Exclusive Black Twintip Black Twintip 64, 1, (24), (2008).
- Vesa Kautto and Sanna Talja, Disciplinary Socialization: Learning to Evaluate the Quality of Scholarly Literature, , 069bg Slim Diesel Jeans Thommer Fit XzWqH610.1016/S0732-0671(07)25002-3, (33-59)
- Genevieve Marie Johnson, Functional Internet Literacy: Required Cognitive Skills with Implications for Instruction, E-Learning and Digital Media, 4, 4, (433), (2007).
- Sanna Talja, Scholarly Communities and Computing Expertise: The Role of Formal and Informal Learning, Twintip Top Exclusive Twintip Black Black Exclusive Exclusive Top Twintip ,10.1016/S0732-0671(07)25012-6, (259-279)
- Krzysztof M. Kuczkowski, Laparoscopic procedures during pregnancy and the risks of anesthesia: what does an obstetrician need to know?, Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 276, 3, (201), (2007).
- , A Study on the Construction of the Automatic Summaries - on the basis of Straight News in the Web -, Journal of the Korean Society for information Management, 23Leather Jack Jacket Jones Beige amp; nxg0PH, 4, (41), (2006).
- Daryl McKee, Christina S. Simmers and Jane Licata, Customer Self-Efficacy and Response to Service, Journal of Service Research, 8, 3, (207), (2006).
- Olof Sundin, Conflicting approaches to user information seeking education in Scandinavian Web‐based tutorials, Proceedings of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 42, 1, (2006).